Sunday, October 28, 2012

"Gone with the Wind"



Yesterday me and my mom finally watched 1939 movie "Gone with the Wind" with gorgeous Vivien Leigh playing Scarlett O'Hara.
Spoilers under the cut!

I always loved the book, I think, I read it three or four times and, of course, cried like dying whale because Rett! And Scarlett! And their love! And Bonnie! And Melanie! Well, you know. It's an amazing beautiful story not only about life but also about Zeitgeist (not sure if it's the right word, found it in dictionary), about terror of war, about women's rights and pressure of society. I admire all the little details Margaret Mitchell included in this text, all the parallels and ideas.
My mother didn't read the book and I knew that she would never do it so I decided that we have to watch the movie. And, unfortunately, I was quite disappointed.
No, don't get me wrong, it was incredible, I especially enjoyed Vivien Leigh, all the decorations were fabulous and actors were good. But I feel like the story itself suffered terribly from editing. For me "Gone with the Wind" is first of all a tragic and breath-taking story with billions of nuaces and I believe that movie, from this point of view, was a little dull. I understand that cinema has its own requirement and this version was already very long (more than three hours!) but I'm still a little bit sad. I had to stop video and explain something to my mother several times and there were multiple moment when,l I sensed that book is so, so much more complicated!
I'm not sorry that I watched this film, it was, however, very good but between movie and book I definitely chose the book. By the way, it may be caused by my general love to reading, I'm not really a movie person.

No comments:

Post a Comment