Sunday, November 11, 2012

Autumn/winter, sweet tea and Brodsky




I am a huge lover of poetry, especially russian poetry of Silver Century and later such as Tsvetaeva, Akhmatova, (strong smart women are my favorite!). But the poet who will always be in my heart is Joseph Brodsky.

Brodsky was born in 1940 in Saint-Petersbourg, USSR. In 18 or around this age (there are different opinions) Joseph wrote his first poem and had never stopped since. In 1972, due to his conflict with Soviet authorities he was expelled from the country and settled in America. Man that have never had any higher education – only 8 classes of comprehensive school – became a university professor. Later he received the titul of poet-laureate of the Library of Congress and even Nobel prise. Unfortunately, Soviet authorities didn't give him a possibility to see his parents and friends back in Russia. He never saw one of his favorite cities, the city in which he was born and which he truly adored – Saint-Petersbourg. Brodsky died because of heart attack in 1996, in his studio-appartment in New-York.

Joseph Brodsky is a very significant man for me. I admire his talent, his views and the dignity with which he carried all the tragic events in his life. I always try to carry one of his books with me, specifically in these days, when autumn slowly moves to winter, air is cold and sky is light.

Today I had some leisure time and I spent it reading Brodsky and drinking sweet tea. Now I feel more ready for cold and murky days. Here are some photos of my off-time.
Note: photos are (obviously) not taken by me and therefore blurry and unfocused. But I even like them better this way, to be honest.







No comments:

Post a Comment